News Release ~ 8/21/2017
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and Families Against Mandatory Minimums Announce NACDL/FAMM State Clemency Project
Volunteering for The State Clemency Project will help us assist the thousands of prisoners who have asked for pro bono help. Your participation is vital in helping incarcerated individuals gaining a second chance.
Volunteer attorneys will help us in two ways;
- Conduct research and work with individual prisoners to help us determine whether a prisoner is eligible for executive clemency; and if so,
- Represent the prisoner and draft a clemency petition.
The State Clemency Project will assist volunteers by providing;
- On-line training materials,
- An in-depth reference section with resource tools that complement the training,
- A panel of expert Resource Counsel to answer technical, procedural, and substantive questions,
- An advisory panel that will review attorney work on individual cases.
Hear what it is like to work on a clemency case
Each state initiative has unique requirements for volunteers. Please see the list of The State Clemency Project initiatives.